Hudson’s Bay Yorkdale
Repositioning a Heritage Brand
We conceptualized and reworked the existing The Bay store at Yorkdale Shopping Centre to help reposition it as Hudson’s Bay in the marketplace. This rebranding included a post and beam structural system throughout the double height court and ground floor, to help articulate and define the space to shoppers while being sympathetic to the existing building fabric.
The strong use of monotone elements and the black ceiling serves to showcase the merchandise.
- Understanding the existing structure for new posts and beams
- Deadline for store opening
- Limited existing drawings information
- Working closely with structural engineer, steel stud supplier and client
- Weekly client/consultant meetings to identify issues and stay focused
- Detailed review of existing conditions to predict future construction issues